Eight Ghanaian nationals have been confirmed dead following a terrorist attack in Titao, a town in northern Burkina Faso, as the government moves to evacuate victims and tighten travel guidance for citizens in high-risk areas.
In a statement, the Government of Ghana through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the attack, which took place on February 14, initially claimed the lives of seven members of the Ghana National Tomatoes Traders and Transporters Association who were engaged in trading activities in the area.
The death toll has since risen to eight after another injured trader, who had been receiving treatment, succumbed to his wounds.
President John Mahama and the government expressed deep condolences to the bereaved families and condemned the attack, describing it as a senseless act of terror.
The statement also conveyed solidarity with the people and government of Burkina Faso, while stressing the need for stronger regional cooperation to address growing security threats across the sub-region.
On the president’s instructions and following medical consultations, arrangements have been made for the immediate air evacuation of injured Ghanaian victims from Burkina Faso.
The evacuation is being carried out by the Ghana Air Force, with the injured expected to arrive in the country later today.
Ghana’s ambassador to Burkina Faso and embassy staff are working closely with the affected nationals and coordinating support efforts, while authorities in Burkina Faso have assisted by granting the necessary approvals to facilitate the operation.
In response to the incident, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued new travel guidance for Ghanaians planning to visit areas considered high-risk within the sub-region.
Citizens undertaking essential travel have been advised to first contact the ministry or Ghana’s diplomatic missions for guidance.For Ghanaians already living in places where violent extremist attacks have been recorded, the government is urging caution.
Residents have been advised to limit their movements, maintain regular contact with Ghanaian missions, share emergency contact details, and keep identification documents readily accessible to enable quicker consular support when needed.
The government said it is closely monitoring the situation and remains in touch with relevant authorities to ensure the safety and welfare of its citizens, adding that further updates will be provided as necessary.
Source: metrotvonline.com
